Friday, February 6, 2009

Billy Bragg w/ Natalie Merchant - Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key

This is from the Mermaid Ave. album that features Wilco and Billy Bragg singing to Woody Gurthrie's lost lyrics. I found this video and was blown away by these paintings. Amazing stuff. And this is a great song! Ava sings the Natalie Merchant part everytime. Melts my heart. . .

Here's the story behind the video and painting:

I made this for an old roommate who wanted to see some work because he said he wanted to buy a painting. It's real choppy. I'm kind of in a hurry, because I'm goin' to Kansas City (yes, like the song) tomorrow or Thursday. The lighting is real bad; I think just because my apartment doesn't get much light. A lot of the paintings are from Steve Keene who's out of Brooklyn, some friends' paintings, 2 paintings from my mom. Most of my work is unfinished. A couple years ago the love of my life ripped my heart out, then my dad died and my confidence just went to shit. So, currently I'm trying to regain it. I think you just have to work hard and not get depressed. Life definitely throws you some curveballs.


No comments: