Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Niner Fix

49er Insider
Matt Maiocco

Roger relayed a telling story about the priorities of the 49ers, circa 1983. During Roger's first training camp, coach Bill Walsh gave the team a night off from meetings. Roger said he was ready to unwind and have some fun.

"I wanted to know where the party was that night," Roger said. "I picked the worst guy- and the best guy- to ask about a party. I went to Ronnie Lott.

"I asked him, Where's the party? He looked at me for a second as if he couldn't believe what I was asking. A frown came across his face and he shot back, 'We didn't draft you here to party, we drafted you to help us get back to the Super Bowl! Instead of partying you better have your butt in your Dorm studying your play book tonight and be ready for practice in the morning.'

"Trust me," Roger said, "I stayed in my dorm.

1 comment:

Gonzo said...

Don't you wish our athletes had that same tenacity? That kind of dedication to win and be the best that you can possibly be is becoming a rare trait among today's young athletes.